Thursday, March 17, 2011

Web friendly crops with the Adobe Photoshop Express

Adobe Photoshop Express

Looking for a photo editor for my Android phone I decided to select Adobe's Photoshop Express. It to crop, rotate, adjust color, and add artistic effects right on your mobile phone and allows you to upload picture to Photoshop.com, Facebook and TwitPic. One interesting thing I found out about Adobe Photoshop Express is that cropping automatically reduces the picture size to a more web friendly format. 

Adobe Photoshop Express

The original picture was a 8MP (3264 x 2448) shot I took with the camera on my HTC Desire HD. I cropped the picture on a laptop using the Shotwell Photo Manager and preserving 100% of the pictures original quality, the resulting crop was a 1200 x 899 sized image with the size of 834 KB.

Cropped using Shotwell Photo Manager

I cropped the same image, covering roughly the same surface area on my mobile phone with Adobe Photoshop Express, and the resulting image was 632 x 451 pixels in size and weighed in at 87 KB.  While many will complain about this being done automatically, without inform the user that the actual image is being scaled down, the loss of image quality was negligible.

Cropped using Adobe Photoshop Express
 
 Adobe Photoshop Express is available on the Android Market. You can also sign-up for 2GB of free web space to host a photo gallery which contains pictures from my mobile phone and digicam. You can upload pictures from your mobile phone or your desktop. 


The one feature I would really like to see is a resize option. This free app could be updated to have a few more options, or may Adobe should release a pro version. The web hosting service may interest many (I suspect most will use Facebook for their online albums). All in all a decent app, but on the prowl for another photo editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...